The first full weekend of NFL preseason action provided a pair of standout rookie quarterback performances while a pair of defensive linemen are making noise off the field. Los Angeles Rams rookie Ty Simpson and New York Jets rookie Cade Klubnik posted efficient outings, and the Cleveland Browns continued their quarterback rotation. Veteran pass rusher DeMarcus Lawrence announced his upcoming retirement over the weekend, and Sean McVay provided an update on Aaron Donald, who worked out with the Rams for the second time this month. Here's what you should know about what happened in the NFL this weekend. Rookie quarterbacks Ty Simpson and Cade Klubnik delivered strong initial performances during preseason games this weekend. Simpson completed 21 of 25 passes for 190 yards and two touchdowns in a Los Angeles Rams victory over the Kansas City Chiefs on Saturday. "I definitely felt more comfortable than I ever had coming into a game," Simpson said. It's certainly a promising showing for Simpson, whom the Rams surprisingly took with the 13th overall pick in the 2026 NFL Draft, as he's competing with Stetson Bennett for the backup role behind Matthew Stafford. Rams head coach Sean McVay liked what he saw out of his rookie quarterback. "I thought he took what the defense gave him," McVay told reporters following Saturday's game. "I thought he read the plays out, read with his feet. I thought he did a really good job overall. "I thought he kept the ball in play. That's the biggest thing: Keeping the ball in play." New York Jets rookie quarterback Cade Klubnik made a surprise start in Friday's preseason opener against the Tampa Bay Buccaneers after starter Geno Smith was held out due to a sore ankle. Klubnik delivered, though. He led the Jets to scoring drives on both of his possessions, finishing 5 of 7 for 56 yards before handing over quarterback duties. "I was definitely excited," Klubnik told reporters. "I knew Geno was only going to play maybe eight to 10 plays and I was ready to go in early after that. "So in my mind, I just got to go in eight to 10 plays earlier." Smith is expected to be the Jets' starting quarterback for much of the season. However, if Klubnik, who the team took in the fourth round of the 2026 NFL Draft, continues to perform like he did on Friday, it's reasonable to think that he could make a push to start games at some point this season. In fact, our Ralph Vacchiano floated the idea that Klubnik could start games for the Jets this season after the first week of training camp. Deshaun Watson outshined Shedeur Sanders in the Cleveland Browns' preseason loss to the Chicago Bears on Saturday. Watson, who got the start, completed 11 of 15 passes for 126 yards with zero touchdowns or turnovers. Sanders, on the other hand, completed 6 of 11 passes for 79 yards with zero touchdowns and an interception. However, Browns head coach Todd Monken offered a measured perspective after the team's quarterback competition moved into live action on Saturday. "I do believe the season is a marathon," Monken said to reporters. "That marathon starts in Jacksonville. We are still in training." The Browns plan to start Sanders next week against the Buffalo Bills as the competition continues. "Again, I did feel going into last game that it was relatively close in terms of both having an opportunity at the starting position, so it would be unfair to not go into the next game and give Shedeur that same opportunity," Monken said. "We owe it to both players who have handled it well and competed at a high level." Aaron Donald took another step toward a potential NFL comeback on Sunday, appearing on the league transaction wire after completing his second workout with the Los Angeles Rams this summer. Rams head coach Sean McVay addressed Donald's potential return following Saturday's preseason victory against the Chiefs. "He's put himself in a position to be able to say yes or no," McVay said to reporters. "I think he's earned that right to have clarity on that. We're not at that point quite yet." McVay noted that internal discussions remain ongoing while Donald evaluates his physical benchmarks for the upcoming season. "I feel great about our football team as it currently stands, and I know he'll add value if he decides to come," McVay said. Veteran pass rusher DeMarcus Lawrence confirmed that the 2026 season will mark the end of his 13-year NFL career. Lawrence, who spent 11 seasons with the Dallas Cowboys before joining the Seattle Seahawks, returned for one final campaign to defend Seattle's title. "This will be my last year," Lawrence told Yahoo Sports. "Through the grace of God, I'm able to play another year and soak it all up one more good time before I hang it up." A v Lawrence has racked up 503 tackles, 67.5 sacks, 146 quarterback hits, 108 tackles for loss, 24 forced fumbles, 11 fumble recoveries in 157 career appearances (139 starts). Lawrence recorded six sacks during the regular season last year and added two fumble recoveries returned for touchdowns. After spending the entire offseason revamping their defense, the Dallas Cowboys are still making some moves on that side of the ball. The Cowboys have signed eight-time Pro Bowl edge rusher Von Miller. The 37-year-old had a productive year for the Washington Commanders in 2025, logging nine sacks and playing in every single regular-season game for the first time since 2018. Miller is just one of many new faces on Dallas' defense this offseason. The Cowboys kicked off the offseason by poaching defensive backs coach Christian Parker from the Philadelphia Eagles to make him their defensive coordinator. They also traded for Green Bay Packers edge rusher Rashan Gary and signed Los Angeles Rams cornerback Kobie Durant before using first-round picks on safety Caleb Downs and edge rusher Malachi Lawrence in the 2026 NFL Draft. Just seven months after tearing his Achilles, San Francisco 49ers tight end George Kittle remains hopeful that he'll be ready for the start of the 2026 regular season. While Kittle has yet to practice in a full capacity in training camp, he expressed optimism that he'll be able to play in the Rams' season-opening matchup against the Rams on Sept. 10. "I have a chance," Kittle told reporters on Sunday. "We're running around a lot, hitting top speeds. Hopefully, we're back in pads practicing sooner than later. Just trying to check the boxes and not be a dumbass." Kittle also said he's "very confident" he won't open the 2026 season on the Physically Unable to Perform (PUP) List. If the 49ers placed him on the list, he would be forced to miss the first four games of the regular season. Kittle's comments are much-needed good news for San Francisco, which has been dealt a slew of injuries so far in training camp. Wide receiver Ricky Pearsall has already undergone season-ending surgery, while running back Christian McCaffrey has missed a week's worth of practices due to a hamstring injury.
from Latest NFL News & Videos from FOX Sports https://ift.tt/nwzWdu3
No comments:
Post a Comment